Saturday, April 14, 2012

Color Selection Meeting

I apologize for the delay in new posts.  Since the last post (2 weeks), I had to go out of town for work, pack up the house, move to the temporary apartment, my son got sick, and I've been sick the last 4 days.  While I have a bit of energy, I thought I'd try to catch up a bit.

On March 5, we had our color selection meeting at the Akron office with Pam.  Prior to this meeting, my husband and I went to the flooring store WH uses so I we could see ALL of my our options, not just what was in the WH showroom.  It was very helpful to speak with the guy working there and he confirmed we had some good ideas (upgrading padding, choice of vinyl, etc).  However, I was very overwhelmed at all the color choices.  Maybe the WH showroom was better for me, so I would have less to choose from.  I tend to overanalyze and having less options is sometimes better for me.  We did pick 2 vinyl flooring patterns we liked, but were unsure if WH had them in their showroom.  The store let us take the samples with us for the meeting.

We also had chosen to do our own countertops.  I'm not a fan of laminate and wanted to shop around for the best stone countertop price I could get.  WH was more than happy to credit me for not using their standard countertops and gave me no grief at all.  Prior to this meeting, I went to Tower Industries and gathered about 10 quartz samples to bring so I could pick out kitchen cabinets and flooring more easily.  I later would pick out a big remnant slab of quartz for the bathrooms as well.

My husband, son (and his Nintendo DS) arrived at the Akron office ready to make all these choices.  I have to admit, I was dreading the meeting, as I was afraid I'd make poor choices.  I don't have a lot of confidence in decorating, but I think it ended up okay.  Pam met us right away and went over the contract again with our changes and any questions we had.  From there we went to the showroom.  Pam had a checklist (Selection Guide) of things to go over and her knowledge & patience was very helpful.

We tried to not be so picky about the flooring or paint colors, since we knew those could and would most likely be changed in the future.  We were more picky about the exterior.  We knew we wanted stone instead of brick in the standard areas, but was not loving any of the options from the local stone yard.  We found the stone we wanted on the WH website on the Litchfield virtual tour and Pam later tracked it down to somewhere in PA and they are getting it shipped in for our home.

Here are some pictures of our selections.  The stone in the picture is not what will be on our home, it will be the one I mentioned above.  We upgraded to Level 4 Vinyl in the kitchen, breakfast room, laundry, and bathrooms.  The foyer will be Level 3 Tile.  The vinyl that looks like stone will be in the laundry room.  The lighter vinyl will be in the kitchen, breakfast area, and 2.5 bathrooms. We chose to put the same carpet throughout the house. The kitchen cabinet upgrade also applied to the bathrooms, so the same cabinets will be in all of them.



Spring Valley Square Maple (Sedona color) cabinets with English Toffee Hanstone Quartz Countertops



Cape Cod Gray siding, slightly darker gray shakes















Bathroom countertops

2 comments:

  1. Do you by any chance know the name of the place where they got the stone? My husband and I absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up some old pics we took on the day the stone was done. The box the stone was in said www.heritagestone.com and the phone number is 740-450-4236 and the stone is called Blue Ridge. The local stone yard didn't have anything like it, so Wayne Homes called their PA office to get the stone info and shipped it in from that yard.

      I hope that helps!

      Delete